Saturday, March 27, 2010

Believing other messengers: the tide




Believing other messengers: the tide
by Gideon Burton

Believing other messengers: the tide
alive with curling currents; moons in phase
across a summer; waving wheat in wide
complacence greening through the warming days.
Confessing awkward liberties, the stilts
of bored flamingos, limestone hollowed walls
that crevice desert canyons in the guilt
of sad arroyos. I await the call
of constellations bending their arrays
to novel polygons of wonder, stark
and sensuous where ether creatures play
among the distances of quiet dark.
More sleepy now, more settled snugly firm,
the soil is boiling, chewed by silent worms.



Feel free to copy, imitate, remix, or redistribute this poem as long as you give proper acknowledgment of authorship. Photo: flickr - oceandesetoiles

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one. It makes me long for warm summer nights when I can lie out on the lawn on a sleeping bag with my kids. Staring at the heavens. Each of us teaching each other something -- some of it true, some of it not.

    I wonder if you added "confusing" as a reaction choice, if people would 'fess up and admit it. Or maybe "huh?" I admit, sometimes I'm still not sure after a few readings. But that's part of the fun (and the pictures help)!

    ReplyDelete