Friday, April 30, 2010

On Writing

On Writing
by Gideon Burton

Of what exists that matters in the gray
and wet cerebrum, liquid rivers flush
with possibility, ideas that stay
until of course new currents crossing rush
a mash of second thoughts, as though the poles
of gravity inverted in a flash–
I only feel, yet cannot firmly know;
so volatile the mind, so fragment-fast.
But as the ink commits me to its form,
as sentences reveal what hid before
(secure in mute obscurity), the storm
subsides; the spyglass finds the shore.
        For as I write I come to know my thought,
        unborn until I craft it as I ought.

Feel free to copy, imitate, remix, or redistribute this poem as long as you give proper acknowledgment of authorship. Photo: flickr - athena

2 comments:

  1. Wait! Are there people that still write in ink? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole thought process is totally different when you use long hand. I am not sure that it is better, necessarily, but it is different.

    ReplyDelete