Monday, February 7, 2011

Cold Cereal

Cold Cereal
by Gideon Burton

Cold cereal, my morning's grainy ration,
why must you sog so quickly in your bowl?
Your sugar melts, your fiber loses passion
(unless dyspeptic hurry is my goal).
Allured by spongy marshmallows or frosting,
I yearn to savor flavor, feel the rush
of icy milky sweet, each crunching costing
a heightened timeliness for fear of mush.
Nabisco's shredded, Cheerios expire,
and Special K limps dull and ordinary.
For milk's a solvent, taming crunch and fire
with strength to squander, terror in the dairy.
     If ever I can feel it firm and fresh,
     I'll know at last I've bought the very best.

Photo: flickr - jek in the box


A former student of mine has done his own remix of this sonnet. Check it out , "A Grainy Test" on his blog.

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to remix one of your sonnets since I first saw this blog. I played around with Cold Cereal a little (http://seanrwatson.blogspot.com/2011/02/grainy-test.html). I love the constant creation. I hope the semester has been great!
    Sean

    ReplyDelete