Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I, Nephi

I, Nephi
by Gideon Burton 
after 1 Nephi 1

Well taught, well tried, well fed by the divine,
I make a record, true, by my own hand.
My father trembled as the heavens shined,
and tasted God descending, brightly grand.
He shouted to Jerusalem, "Repent!"

He named their evils, spoke what he'd been shown.
He joyed in God, although his strength was spent.
He prayed for them until his spirit groaned.

For nothing. He was threatened, mocked, and scorned
(So much within so little space to tell!)
No matter a Messiah would be born;
He was rejected, threatened, as their anger swelled.
     I'll tell of our deliverance from this hate,

     For tender mercies follow those of faith.



2 comments:

  1. This wasn't lightning worthy at all. If you're hoping to get zapped, you're going to have to try harder than this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I think you should take requests.

    ReplyDelete