Thursday, September 30, 2010

Don't Snicker

Don't Snicker
by Gideon Burton

Today I found a candy bar, forgotten.

It somehow made it's way beneath my bed--
a no-man's land where food goes to go rotten--
a place of dust and junk, ignored or dead.
I thought it would be harder, firmly stale;
I thought I would just huck it in the trash;
I thought my better thinking would prevail;
but I have done a thing both sweet and rash.
How easily its wrappered skin gave way;
how readily I tore the nougat's tissue;
how quickly spiked my gloucose in that spray
of burning chewy sugar -- how I'd missed you.
     So many things when lost dissolve to dust;
     a few, preserved like nectar, you can trust.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. WOW. The "I thoughts..." are so deliciously painful--it reminds me of the scene in Young Frankenstein where he stabs himself with the scalpel and the camera cuts for what feels like an eternity before he pulls it back out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James! Oh, and I love that scene from Young Frankenstein...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. I'll write more to give you someone alive to joust against!

    ReplyDelete