Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reason

Reason
by Gideon Burton

Is reason male? Spock-logical and sure?

Secure within its calculations cold
and bold? Each measured premise never lures
the passions: algorithmic, I am told.
Machinery of thought, the valid check
on wild distractions fertile in our minds. 
What comfort: in our world we may expect
behavior rigorously constant! Blind
to bias: major, minor premise, done.
Oh, I have felt this warm seductress draw

from me conclusions that have drugged and stunned
me with their elegance, no fault no flaw
no way this opiate goes out of season:
our lust for order, dressed in slinky reason. 


Photo: flicker - exper

3 comments:

  1. Reason female, then? Boy, not in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you have time to write such stunning poetry every day? I know these things do not come out of thin air. . . tho I suppose the more talented you are, the easier it is.

    ReplyDelete