Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shakespeare's Sonnet #133 - Multimedia Remix

One of my students, Ariel Szuch, introduced me to a version of one of Shakespeare's sonnets that was so compelling that I wanted to share this on my blog. It's sonnet #133, whose central image of a prison is taken as the master metaphor of this animated simulation. Here's the poem, followed by the video.

Sonnet 133
by William Shakespeare

Beshrew that heart that makes my heart to groan
For that deep wound it gives my friend and me!
Is't not enough to torture me alone,
But slave to slavery my sweet'st friend must be?
Me from myself thy cruel eye hath taken,
And my next self thou harder hast engross'd:
Of him, myself, and thee, I am forsaken;
A torment thrice threefold thus to be cross'd.
Prison my heart in thy steel bosom's ward,
But then my friend's heart let my poor heart bail;
Whoe'er keeps me, let my heart be his guard;
Thou canst not then use rigor in my gaol:
And yet thou wilt; for I, being pent in thee,
Perforce am thine, and all that is in me.



Sonnet 133 | The new Media with Shakespeare from iNEEDaDAMNgoodJOB.com on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment