Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Things of God

The Things of God
by Gideon Burton
"The Things of God are of deep import, and time, and experience, and careful and ponderous and solemn thoughts can only find them out." --Joseph Smith

If in my two score years and few one thing

(perhaps of all my thoughts the soundest yet)
I'm certain of: the ignorance I bring
in widening arcs -- yet nothing to regret.
As wiser I become I lose my place
so often in those softened theorems I 
had thought were permanent. So little trace
remains of mastering the earth or sky.
I am a walker underneath the waves
of eons intricate with lore untried.
I hardly know how anything behaves --
much less the cosmos boundless, black and wide.
     The things of God -- I shudder to behold;
     too green to fathom fathoming so old.

Photo: flickr - Carl Jones

1 comment: