Sunday, December 12, 2010

Having Seen and Heard

Having Seen and Heard
by Gideon Burton
"Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord, and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard." -- 2 Nephi 4:16

What I have seen and heard and clearly known,
recorded in inscriptions graven wet
and red and ready flowing, flying, flown
to thundered pulsing silent in the net
of wonders tacitly sustaining me
with memory unmeasured, steady beats
beneath the surfaces, as though the sea,
unfurling currents, washes me with heat.
Let comets burst, let mountains sink or melt.
Let even Jesus cleave the crimson sky.
What I have seen and heard and clearly felt;
what I have tasted past all questions why--
     No tongue can tell, nor ocean sound such peace.
     What cannot be contained needs no increase.

Photos: flickr - HAMED MASOUMI (modified); My Name Is Taylor (modified); Dick Rochester (modified); Paul Evans - RG& B (modified)

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one. The idea of things we know sustaining us. So so true.

    ReplyDelete